Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bad Movies We Love

Went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant last night with two friends. The conversation turned to bad movies we love in spite of our better judgment. My all-time favorite bad movie is "The Long Kiss Goodnight" with Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. So bad it's good. When I admitted my love for this movie, my friend Leslie clapped her hands like a little girl and said, "I LOOOOOVE that movie, too!!" I knew we were friends for a reason.

Her boyfriend, Shaun, then started listing off his favorite bad movies. Oddly enough, most of them were sci-fi movies. Guess that's just a genre that inherently walks the thin line between brilliant and crap. And then those that are so crap are craptastic! His favorites are "Event Horizon" and "Screamers" and "Armageddon." I've seen the first and last, but not "Screamers." He made me promise to put it in my Netflix queue. I'll let you know after I've watched it.

Some of my favorite movies are bad on purpose. Like they're making fun of bad movies. Or at least I think they're doing it on purpose. The faux documentary "Drop Dead Gorgeous" makes fun of documentaries. It's hilarious. I always see Ellen Barkin raising her right hand with the beer can permanently stuck in her hand. Once you see it, you'll understand. Then there are the "Charlie's Angels" movies. Totally campy and laugh out loud funny.

Maybe I should take this approach to the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Those movies stole my soul they were so bad. A blight upon the happy memories of my childhood. Perhaps I should play Mystery Science Theater 3000 with those movies. I could have fun with those movies that way. Especially when Anakin has any dealings with Padme. "Are you an angel?" Blech. Puh! It makes me want to spit to clear my mouth. You'd think I'd want to cover my ears, but my initial reaction (after rolling my eyes into the back of my head) is to make "puh puh" noises like I'm spitting out something nasty tasting. Even though I did not like said movies, I still own them on DVD. Perhaps at some point on this long holiday weekend, I shall try out my Mystery Science Theater approach to these prequels. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Haven't done much reading during the latter part of the week. I hope to get into "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. Big book for a big weekend. My friend Rachel loved this book. I read the first chapter and thought it was pretty interesting.

I have a 30% off coupon for Borders burning a hole in my pocket. Think I'll see if I can find any classic novels from the Everyman's Library collection. I'm loving those dustjackets. Yes, I'm that swayed by a superficial aesthetic such as a dustjacket. Who said books can't be pretty as well as entertaining?

No comments: